Pages

July 14, 2011

Numbering gifts... counting blessings

I recently read a book called "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp.  I loved it for many reasons- it touched on some things I've been mulling over in my heart; one being a desire to be fully present and see the joy in every moment, to not rush through the day and miss the gifts I've been given.  I found this book at the perfect time- right when the school year was ending and summer was starting and we were forced into mandatory rest.  When I was deciding that I'm tired of being in a hurry.  The years tick my so fast- I don't want to miss any of the precious moments life has to offer because I am forever rushing.  And I realized that I've believed the lie that the best of those precious moments only come when we are doing something creative, or fun, or "special."  Something intentional I have planned and done with my kids.  Not that I shouldn't be intentional or creative, but I want to drink in and see clearly the precious moments that come just living in the day to day; in the routines, in the quiet, in the loud and crazy, when I'm in the midst of cooking dinner or talking on the phone.  I want to see the gifts in those moments.  I don't want to miss the beauty that is right in front of my face.  I have always loved nature- majestic mountains, still quiet lakes, streams flowing through landscapes of green.  I am inspired and my soul is fed.  It's hard to miss the awesomeness of God when His creation is staring you in the face.  Praise and worship just naturally flow from my heart.  But what if I could see the beauty around me in that way at every moment, from any perspective of life- wherever I am and whatever I'm doing.  I want to learn to see in that way, that the fullness of heart would not be reserved for special occasions.

So I am taking Ann's challenge... to look for one thousand gifts that surround me and give thanks for them.  Because, listen to this fun quote...

Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transcendent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world.   -Sarah Ban Breathnach

I'm excited!  My list is just beginning.  I have a long way to go but already it's changing the way I see.  Here are my June blessings:

1. the scent of a freshly cut lemon
2. pajama clad girl licking a beater beside me
3. tray of lemon cupcakes to share
4. late night chats in bed- just mom, dad, and Lizzy
5. pigtails on my sweet girl


6. pink tulips on the table, falling wherever they want
7. basil on my window sill
8. baking with little girls
9. thinking about the miracle of birth with teary eyes
10. loving friends kids like your own


11. spilled coffee missing my camera by inches
12. little boys saving the universe on an evening walk
13.  my backyard fragrant with lilacs
14. a planted seed peeking through the soil
15. hugs from my first born



16. the smell of freshly washed hair
17. trail running through the woods with my man
18. co-workers who become friends
19. first corn-on-the-cob of summer
20. pudgy little hands with bright pink polish


21. greeting strangers on the sidewalk
22. being able to run
23. slowing down- mandatory rest
24. doctors and answers
25. strong 7 year old braving a blood draw
26. juicy red watermelon
27. sharing garden spinach with neighbors
28. kisses from Lizzy- eskimo and butterfly
29. bedtime giggles
30. wispy thin bedhead hair



31. two year old commentary
32. Lizzy saying "tute" and stroking a newborns head
33. a dad who loves me
34. the dad Kyle is to our kids
35. Gluten free cake that tastes like the real thing
36. our kids surrounded by family
37. sunshine!
38. popsicles in the backyard
39. the first swim of summer
40. ruffled swimsuits


41. snuggling in a warm and cozy bed
42. hot shower after a run
43. the quiet of naptime
44. simple pleasures- throwing rocks in the Sound
45. dogs chasing splashes in the water



46. creamy coffee
47. staying connected with technology
48. cards in the mail
49. patient, sweet, soft 7 year old heart
50. backyard bug hunting with my baby


51. having the Helper when feeling helpless
52. playing board games and watching them win
53. fuzzy slippers
54. watching them sleep
55. a daddy who takes time to talk to our sons
56. anything that comes out of Lizzy's mouth
57. the smell of rain
58. family juggling fest
59. peaceful evenings in the backyard
60. summer mornings
61. hearing birds sing out the screen door
62. learning a new skill at work
63. wonderful friends who watch my kids
64. my niece belly laughing at the boys


More to come... thanks for sharing my journey


www.aholyexperience.
I know it's not Monday but maybe next time I do this kind of post it will be :)

1 comment:

  1. Your photography si wonderful! It is good to be reminded to savor all the small blessings. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete