Pages

February 25, 2012

Retired, but not slowing down

Earlier this month we made a quick weekend trip over the mountains to Omak.  I can't remember the last time I went home on an ordinary two-day weekend.  With kids it's a long way to go for such a short time, plus once we get there none of us want to leave that soon.  But, there was a big event going on that we just couldn't miss... my dad's retirement party!

For as long as I can remember my dad has gotten up at o'dark thirty and left the house by 6-6:30am to go to work.  He has rode his bike all year round, in rain or shine... taking the car only if there's too much ice on the road.  He has persevered through some stressful and challenging work situations and I never remember hearing him complain as he provided for our family for over 35 years.  You don't really appreciate these things as a kid, but once you're an adult with three kids of your own, and long days...and long nights, you realize what a sacrifice it can be and what a blessing it is.

My dad working in his early years... (copied from a power point so it's kinda blurry)
Yep, that's one of my dad's work locations.  He's a geologist so he got to get out in nature and off the beaten track more than most people probably.  Many of the old mines he went to were only accessible on foot (or in some case bikes).  My sister and brother and I had fun reminiscing about all our hiking and camping trips as kids.  We got to learn the names of every plant and rock we saw along the way.  (I still know my plants pretty well but I'm a little rusty on my rocks.... sorry dad!)   Another advantage of having a geologist for a dad...


the old prospector
...you get to have the prospector come to your class.  Very cool now... possibly a little embarrassing in third grade.  Now I just need to figure out how to get the prospector to Isaiah, Luke and Lizzy's classroom.

We had the party in the basement of an old flour mill.  I didn't get as many pictures as I would have liked.  The lighting was not great and I was chasing after a two year old, but he's a couple.

Getting set up
the cake I made... complete with a mining car and edible rocks :)
Dad chatting with friends
Liz putting the charm on Grammy
happy to celebrate
opening cards and gifts at home, notice Debbie Dora thinks she needs to be right in the action
A new kayak for the river
It was fun at the party to hear everyone talk about all the qualities about my dad that make him great that I have always known.  He's the hardest worker I know- I like to think I got this quality from him. (I can also thank him for my fast metabolism)  He loves to help people and he's very generous with his time and resources.  He's adventurous and fearless. (that last part can make us all a little nervous at times)  He's very resourceful and handy and will always find a way to get things done.  I can't really imagine my dad not working on something.  So.... what is he doing now that he's retired?



Yep, that's right it's broken- a snow boarder collided with his leg on the first morning of a ski trip right after he retired and he's in this bad boy for six weeks.  But as soon as the cast is off and the snow is melted you won't see my dad sitting around.  He'll be over at the river building their new retirement home.  So enjoy the rest while you can dad...and Happy Retirement! We love you!!!

2 comments:

  1. It would not have been the same without all you kids and grandkids there for the celebration. Thanks for making the effort to come!! You guys are what has always made all the hard work worth it. Love you, Dad and Mom

    ReplyDelete