Pages

April 11, 2011

Trying Something New

I love trying something new.  Even more, I love watching my kids experience something new.  This weekend I got to do both when we went clam digging for the first time.  Kyle grew up going clam digging and we've always wanted to go but you kind of have to work around the tides and the season.  That means clam digging time is not always convenient or appealing with three kids.  So when Kyle's parents called and said the tides would be right at 9am we jumped at the chance.

Headed toward the water

The day was surprisingly nice- which means it didn't rain on us and the sun peeked out a couple of times.  I didn't take my nice camera out on the beach because I didn't want it to get caught in a freak rain shower. Nana's camera was not so lucky- it ended up in a puddle of water.   Lots of people turned out to dig clams on Saturday.  Apparently it wasn't the best day of clam digging ever- the clams weren't showing.  But that didn't stop the kids from having a great time in the sand and surf.



Lizzy manning the clam gun

Kyle diggin' for a big one- mmmm don't they look tasty?

Auntie Kaylene giving Lizzy a lift                                          Nana and Isaiah shooting the breeze

I did not want to leave the beach until I got at least one clam with the gun.  I kept coming up empty handed, or a couple times I got a partial, broken clam.  That sand felt like it was getting harder and harder the more I tried.  FINALLY, I got my clam.  OK, mom can go now.

My prize

We had fried clams for dinner and there's clams in the freezer for clam chowder in the near future.  I love just being outside and being together.  It was a great day and we can't wait to go dig us some clams again soon!


3 comments:

  1. Seeing your clam dig pictures brings back lots of memories from our dating/first married days. We'd head up to my sisters place and Ryan and my bro-in-law Lance would dig like crazy while Laurie and I kept a handle on their kids (sometimes in the pick-up as the weather wasn't kid friendly). Fun times!

    And I love your family picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a bunch of fun. There's nothing like a day at the beach in the sea air!Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily Nana & Papa really enjoy the stories and the beautiful pictures. You are so talented in many ways. The writing and the photography! We really had a fun time clamming. Should have got some pictures cleaning clams, next time...Keep sharing and we look forward to our next adventures.

    ReplyDelete