Pages

March 10, 2011

The "Speecher"

Last week Isaiah was sitting at the kitchen table one day while I was doing something.
"Mom."  
"Yes bud?" I said.  
"I've been thinking... do you know what I want to do when I grow up?" 
"What do you want to do?"  I asked.  
"I want to be a speecher." 
"A speecher huh, cool!  What exactly does a speecher do?"
"Mom!!!  You don't know what a speecher does?!?" 
"Well...I mean, I do know, I just wanted to hear what you would say."
"A speecher is someone who talks to people and stands on a stage and tells them things.  You know how some people don't know about Jesus?... My friend Jubee says she wants to be a singer for Jesus, well I want to be a speecher for Jesus.  I want to stand on a stage and speech to them so they can know."  
"That's awesome buddy, you will be an AMAZING speecher!"

Oh how I love Isaiah.  He is so sweet and so genuine and I couldn't be prouder that he wants to be a "speecher" when he grows up.  I know I'm probably a little biased but the thing is I have no problem imagining him on a stage and captivating the attention of a crowd.  It's just the kind of guy he is.  He's a natural in front of people.  I can safely tell you that he did not get this characteristic from me.  I would much rather stay out of the spotlight.  It is not from my gene pool.  If you've ever watched him closely at a school performance you have had a taste of his stage presence.  He sings strong, he does the movements with flair, he gets his hips into it, he does it with gusto.  He loves life and you can tell.  Most of the time it seems like he is unaware that people are even watching him- he's just having fun up there.  

Isaiah has another crowd drawing strategy; his jokes.  He got into them a while back and has a few (pretty bad) joke books.  He'll tell them to anyone and everyone and he's got pretty darn good delivery.  I've seen him entertain 50 somethings at a wedding reception and  recently auntie Kaylene's new boyfriend the first time he met him.   He has no qualms carrying on a conversation with strangers and throwing in a joke or two.  Just don't get him started on knock, knock jokes.  

Enjoying Life
Isaiah's memory might also prove to be helpful in any future endeavors on the stage.  He has an uncanny knack for remembering movie lines and will throw them into normal conversations.  One of my favorites took place last summer.  I said something to Kyle and the boys and then headed out the back door.  Luke said, "What did she say?"  To which Isaiah answered, "He who has gas travels at the back of the pack.... just kidding- she said I'm going out to pick carrots." (that line is from Ice Age:  Dawn of the Dinosaurs, in case you didn't know)  

Isaiah as Indiana Jones running from the giant ball

Our little Ice Man has influence too.  Anyone who can talk Luke out of sneaking a donut off the counter without asking mom and dad has some decent persuasive abilities.  At his parent conference this year his teacher said that when Isaiah talks everyone stops what they are doing and listens- they want to hear what he has to say.  

Can you tell I'm kind of fond of my first born?  I suppose that's enough mommy bragging for one day... although it is my blog so I guess I can talk about my kids as much as I want, right?  :-)  I'm just saying, don't be surprised if you see Isaiah Grunenfelder on stage in about 20 years doing a music and comedy act then preaching the Gospel and bringing people to Jesus.  I know I am fully expecting it... and I can't wait!


A couple jokes from Isaiah:

What do monkeys have at all their parties?  Chimps and salsa
What is white and black and red all over?  a sunburned penguin
Why did the ocean roar?  You would too if you had crabs on your bottom


Ask him for more next time you see him... he'll gladly tell you some. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness . . . I LOVE this!! I have tingles thinking about Isaiah's destiny! How could he NOT be amazing with the family God placed him in?! Also, those are awesome jokes! My favorite part of this blog was the way he threw that Ice Age quote into normal conversation ~ COMIC GENIUS and pure awesomeness!!! :) You SHOULD be a proud Mama!!! <3

    Love you, AMP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um....maybe we can take this dog and pony show on the road. If I only I could teach Jubee to sing on key, they might be a perfect match!

    ReplyDelete