Pages

February 24, 2011

Oh Lukey!

Kids are so funny.  Sometimes I just really want to get inside their little brains and see what they are thinking.  Why do they do the things they do?  Just for the record I'm sure there have been plenty of times when someone has wondered what I am doing or thinking.  Take yesterday for example.  I was out for a walk with the dog and the younger two kiddos in the jogging stroller.  The kids were munching on Toy Story fruit snacks and Luke said, "hey mom- I got a Jessie!" To which I started singing full blast, "There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl, Bullseye, he's Woody's horse, meet the old prospector and Woody the man himself of course...."  Just as I finished the finale "He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west- Woooody's Roooound-uuup!" I looked over to see about 5 construction workers across the street standing motionless and staring at me.  Welp... what can you do?

Anyway, back to kids.  Luke is one of those kids that is often doing things that we just shake our heads at.  Really, all we can do is say, "Oh Lukey."  He reminds me a little of those No David books. Adventurous, but sweet as can be.  That is the dichotomy of Lukey; a lion and a lamb, jumping off of anything and everything, but the best cuddler in the world.  Fearless in every way, but wants to be near people.  I love him!  Last week we had one of our "What was he thinking" moments.  I had just finished putting Lizzy in her jammies when Isaiah came in and told me I needed to see what Luke did and take a picture of him.  In comes Luke with red marker stripes all over his body.  On his face, his arms, his tummy, all the way down his legs, even on the bottoms of his feet.  He was proud of himself and I snapped some pictures.



 It wasn't until we stripped him down to scrub him off in the shower that we realized he really had drawn those stripes everywhere.  They were on his ears, and even his cute little buns.  Oh Lukey!


It reminds me of a few other incidents...

Last summer my mom was in town and she watched the kids one day while I worked.  They were playing outside and she noticed Luke hiding behind a lawn chair.  "Luke, what are you doing?" she asked.  "I'm going poop in the pee hole."  (the boys have been known to pee outside- not abnormal for boys- unbeknownst to me they had named the hole in the ground at their favorite spot next to the lilac bush the "pee hole")  Isaiah informed Luke that they weren't supposed to poop in the pee hole and Luke responded nonchalantly,  "Don't worry about it.  We can do it, it's OK"  Oh Lukey!

Watching a movie one night after the kids were in bed we heard footsteps upstairs.  Going up to check it out we found Luke standing in the kitchen with a hot dog in both hands and a stack of Kraft singles ready to eat.  Oh Lukey!

One day Luke and Lizzy were behind the couch and Lizzy started crying.  Kyle-  "Luke- why is she crying, what did you do?"  Luke-  "We're playing Pharaoh and Moses and I just told her, Lizzy let my people go!"  Oh Lukey!

Lukey's Moses costume on the right

I came in from the garden one day to finish dinner and found Lukey biting big chunks out of the top of my block of cheddar cheese.  Oh Lukey!

Mmmm, who wants some cheese?

Oh Lukey!  Our life would be boring and empty without your big grin, your marker drawings on the walls and furniture, your bear hugs, your funny outfits and bathroom habits and your sweet cuddles and I love you's.  You make us smile everyday!  Don't ever change.

Lukey... whacha doing?  "I don't know!"


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're lucky to have Lukey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, Jakey and I read this post together---I'm not sure there are two bigger fans of this kid. "Mama! He's eating the cheese! Lukey's eating cheese! Isn't that funny, mama?" Loved the art work, he has real talent that you parents need to harness. Great post, em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm remembering one morning last weekend waking up at 6:15 to the sight of Lukey's cute little face about a foot from mine with a big smile on his face... ready for a new day! Oh Lukey! sure do love you! Grammy Bee

    ReplyDelete